"SAN NICOLA"'S CHURCH
The construction of the church goes back to the period dominated by Federico II, since the date 1228 (or 1238) is engraved on the valuable gothic portal.
The church, erected by the Byzantines during their domination (that is way it is called "dei Greci"-the Greeks), houses in the chapel, the statue of the Crucified (called of S. Nicola), made by the famous sculptor " fra Umile da Petralia" (16th century).
On the left, over the altar, in the mentioned chapel, there
is the painting portraying S. Nicola, the oldest painting existing in
Mirto, made by painter Gaspare Camarda in 1597.